Quantitative Aptitude : Basics I

Discussion in 'Quantitative Aptitude' started by sidgoyal, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sidgoyal

sidgoyal New Member

IF you guys are aiming for CAT This Nov, there is nothing called "is it too late to start ? "

The day you decide , you wake up, thats day is perfect to start even if CAT is today. Only the thing which should change - your approach towards preparation.

So, the basics discusses below are kinda MUST DO at all points of time, unless you have CAT just 1 week away :) .

Let me take you back to your Class 4 and Class 5.

Learning Tables :

Yes ! you will have to learn tables. But no just dumb learning like if someone asks you whats 14x13 you can answer but somemore insights to learning tables.

Almost about to complete graduation, already a graduate I can safely assume you guys can compute Taxi, Auto Meter convertions, calculate bill totals etc.

So you guys are safely trained till atleast 1x1 to 12x 12 matrix. Everyone would know whats 8x9 is or whats 6x7 is .

So, Learning tables will start at

11x11 11x12 11x13 ................... 11x30
    12x11 12x12 12x13 ................... 12x30
    19x11 29x12 29x13 ................... 19x30
    20x11 20x12 20x13 ................... 20x30

By this time you also will know most of the elements in the matrix as they will repeat from the previous set.

21x1 21x2 ............................... 21x30
    22x1 22x2 ............................... 22x30
    29x1 29x2 ............................... 29x30
    30x1 30x2 ............................... 30x30

( Note: for people with commerce/ non-scientific backgrounds, dont get scared by the work matrix - its just a way to represent which all multiples you should know.. plain write on paper tables the way you used to do when in school )

Ok ! So if its about learning tables whats the big deal about it to read it in a forum ? Anyone is intelligent enough to understand that .

All i want to say is that the benefits of this is often underrated.

Its doesnt only help you multiply fast but makes a lot more smarter than that.

you can really play with numbers better , the moment you see 144 , you will know its 12x12 or 16x9. If you are working on a problem, and come to a stage where answer is 13( 14*12- 155) , and your options are 110, 119, 169 and 170 . You know only one of the option is a multiple of 13 and thats your answer. You need to not work out the total itself.

Thats what makes you smart. You wil be familiar with number and their family of factors - as to what all make up those numbers.

DISCLAIMER : This is just a basic, not any formula to CRACK Quants in CAT. But gives you a certain advantage for sure.
    4 people like this.
  2. Amitava

Amitava Just Registered

Its always good to know some small tips. Thanks for that.
  3. DavidJ

DavidJ Just Registered

Too basic but yes definitely a good thing to start of
  4. puneet_ece

puneet_ece Member

thnx dear...very nice
  5. georgebuffet

georgebuffet Member

Hi There !!

Thanks for the tips.

Can you give me some freqently asked questions with answer.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    George Buffet
  6. shubh

shubh Member

There are many online sources that conducts free math shortcut workshops during select weekends for MBA aspirants. Math is a cumulative subject. You REALLY need to understand today's material to understand the material the next day.
  7. Aseema

Aseema Member

These tricks really helped me .Thanks ..waiting for more tips.
  8. banerjeeshri

banerjeeshri New Member

that is so......... truly said. it is never too late and today, there are so many opportunities for MBA aspirants. innumerable good institutes, books, good coaching centres and discussion forums like this. you just need the strong will to say to yourself that you want to be an MBA!
  9. jitenderkumar

jitenderkumar Member

Thanks for providing such a good material to prepare the MBA aspirants for CAT Exam. Quanta. basics.

Jitender