Article E-Learning- A Revolution in Education

Discussion in 'Technology' started by priyad, Aug 19, 2009.

1. priyad

priyad Super Moderator

“Learning is not compulsory…but neither is survival”- w Edwards Deming

Learning is a never ending process that happens through out a person’s life. It starts at home, develops in educational institutions, but it never stops. Education today, plays a crucial role in framing the personality, paves way for the development of mind and is an important factor that determines the quality of a person’s life. It is an instrument that hones the skills of an individual and as a person graduates from school to college, provides the necessary degree of independence and confidence to face the world.

Lectures and seminars, case studies, presentations, industrial visits, internships and projects are the usual methods of imparting education. The existing educational system has been successful, but not without flaws. Quite often they restrict to the prescribed syllabus and sufficient attention to update the student’s knowledge is not provided. Another flaw is the absence of easy availability of study material at all places.

[HEADING]E-Learning[/HEADING]

“Technological change THE only constant in today’s world”

Change has accelerated to the point where innovation is the “name of the game”. This has penetrated into the field of education too. E-Learning is a method of learning that overcomes some of the disadvantages of the traditional learning methods. This study aims to find out the acceptance level of E-Learning among students.

Technically, E-Learning can be defined as a general term that relates to all the learning that is delivered with the assistance of a computer and communications technology; it is a form of mobile learning. Such devices can include personal computers and CD-ROMs. Communications technology enables the use of the internet, e-mail, discussion forums, collaborative software and learning system.

The following are the advantages of E-Learning,

• Availability of material anywhere, anytime
    • Specific topics
    • Less time spent as learning is based on ones capacity
    • Flexible
    • Scope of learning more
    • Enables the learner to be more updated

The various modes of E-Learning that can be incorporated into our education system are,

Virtual Classroom- A virtual classroom is a learning environment that exists solely in the form of digital content that is stored, accessed and exchanged through networked computer and information systems. Everything in a virtual classroom occurs in a non-physical environment; students access the classroom by connecting to the internet rather than traveling to a real, physical classroom. “Tell me, and I’ll forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I’ll understand.” Virtual classrooms are 100% successful at involving the students in their learning.
    Through the Internet- Many courses are offered online and there are discussion forums where students can express their view and have discussions with other members.
    Study Material on CD- This is the provision of all the material required for a subject/course in a Compact Disc. This would be easier for a student who normally has to spend a lot of time collecting relevant and sufficient material; besides, its weightless!

[HEADING] Online Education[/HEADING]

The concept of E-Learning is behind online education. Learners can use e-learning modes to assist themselves, accumulate value-additions or complete full-fledged courses in online universities.

This in particular comes as a boon to working professionals who can not afford to set aside time exclusively to advance their education. E-Learning will give them their much-desired and needed flexibility.
  2. nisha_903

nisha_903 New Member

can any1 tell me da "counseling variables"